If you’re moving, lots of people have probably told you to hire professional packing services from a moving company. If you’re like most people, though, you’re probably wondering why. What can professional packing services do for you that you can’t do for yourself? Will they really change your move that much? Here’s everything you need to know about the difference between packing your home on your own and hiring the pros to do it for you.
The Pros & Cons of Professional Packing Services
The biggest perk of packing services is convenience. When you hire professional packing services to pack your home for you, you can take a hands-off approach to the move. Not only does this save you time, but it also helps ensure that you’re not wasting your energy on doing a job you could easily have a professional team do for you.
What’s more, hiring packing services is a great way to avoid simple moving mistakes. Bringing in professional packers is a little bit like hiring a professional dentist to deal with a cavity: they know what they’re doing and they have the tools needed to get the job done. With the help of a professional team, you’ll be able to avoid simple bumps in the road, plan for a more efficient move, and knock the entire job out faster and more efficiently.
All that said, hiring packing services does have a few drawbacks. For one, it costs money. While it’s likely less expensive than trying to orchestrate an entire long-distance move on your own, it’s still out of budget for some people. Additionally, many homeowners don’t feel comfortable hiring a professional team to handle their valuables or move their most personal possessions.
Why DIY Your Packing?
Just like there are plenty of reasons to hire packing services, there are also many reasons to DIY your packing. Here are a few of the biggest:
- You Might Save Money. While the cost of your move depends on the distance and the number of items being moved, DIYing your packing could save you money. To figure out if this is the best route for you, break down the cost of hiring a moving team versus the cost of purchasing your own moving supplies and renting moving equipment.
- It can be fun. While lots of people dread packing, it’s important to remember that it can be fun! Many people bond with friends and family they’re about to move away from by having a moving party wherein guests help pack and load a moving truck.
- You’ll Get Rid of More Items. Packing your own house is a great way to enhance your decluttering efforts. As you move from room to room, packing the items within it, you’ll have a chance to get rid of items you no longer need, weed out duplicates, and donate unwanted clothing and goods.
- Some People Just Like Doing it Themselves! If you’re one of those people who appreciates a good DIY project, you’ll likely love the process of DYing your packing. Have fun with it and savor the process of moving from one place to the next.
Why Hire Professional Packing Services Provided by a Moving Company?
Wondering why hiring professional packing services is a smart move? Here are a few of the top reasons:
- It’s Fast. If you’re moving in a hurry or you need a skilled team to knock out your move quickly for you, making the decision to hire professional packing services is key. Professional packers work in teams, which allows them to move through your home quicker than you could as an individual. This is perfect for people who need a rapid turnaround or doesn’t want to handle it on their own.
- It’s Safe. People who are concerned about hiring movers to handle their personal belongings need not be. A reputable moving company is licensed and insured and should have a large body of client testimonials behind them. This helps increase consumer confidence and demonstrate a moving company is trustworthy.
- It Reduces Stress. Moving can be stressful, but hiring a professional moving service can help cut that down. Professional packing services are full-service teams, which means they’ll knock out a moving job quickly and efficiently – no questions asked.
Which Option is Right for You?
So – what’s the answer? Should you hire the pros or do it on your own? The truth is that this is a personal decision. While some people love the process of moving and packing their own belongings, others don’t have the time or desire to do it. In this case, it might be smartest to hire professional packing services to handle the job instead of struggling through it on your own. You may also benefit from a professional team if you’re moving a long distance away, or if you have a particularly large home to move. To learn more about professional packing, contact Colonial Van Lines. We’re happy to offer a free quote or answer any questions you may have!