Wondering about DIY vs professional movers? If so, you’re not alone. Especially during the holiday season, people tend to put a lot of thought into the difference between these two teams. Moving during the holidays can be expensive, but is doing it on your own really a good way to save money? On the other hand, how accessible are professional movers for most people? Here’s what you need to know.
The Benefits of the DIY Approach
When you’re moving over the holidays, things can feel a little stressful. After all, the holidays are a busy and high-stress time, anyway, and adding a big move on top of it can toss the entire thing into a harsh relief. Fortunately, it doesn’t need to feel that way.
A few of the benefits of DIYing your move include the following:
- You’ll have more control. If you like being in control of your move, you’ll love to DIY it. Not only does this allow you the control of packing each of your items on your own, but it also gives you a chance to move at your own pace and get rid of unneeded items as you encounter them.
- You’ll save money. Moving during the holidays can be expensive, and it’s one of the primary times when doing it on your own may actually be less expensive than the alternative. Because moving rates peak around the holidays, DIYing your move could save you hundreds of dollars throughout the course of the process.
- You’ll trust in the security of your items. Some people are very nervous about having professional movers handle their personal items. When you DIY your move, this isn’t a concern. If you’re one of the many people who likes to keep your personal belongings personal, DIYing your move is a great option.
DIY vs Professional Movers: The Perks of Hiring a Pro
When you hire professional movers, you have access to lots of perks not associated with DIYing the process. Here are a few of the biggest:
- It’s faster. Moving with the help of professionals is fast and straightforward. Because professional movers have all the tools and skills they need to streamline the moving process, you can enjoy a quick and expedited move that you don’t have to deal with on your own.
- It affords you more time. Moving during the holidays can be stressful, but hiring a professional to help allows you to save time and spend more quality moments with your family and friends. This is integral for anyone who has children or parents they want to spend more time with.
- You can avoid moving mistakes. Professional movers are just that – professionals. As such, they have the tools and tricks you need to avoid common moving snafus and ensure your move goes off without a hitch.
- You’ll get outstanding moving assistance. Professional movers are more than just grunt work – they can also provide you with things like moving checklists, free quotes, information, supplies, and other critical accessories to your move.
The Risks of Each Option
As with everything, DIY vs professional movers both have their drawbacks. When it comes to DIY moving, you’ll spend more time and effort handling your move and less enjoying your holiday with the people you love. You may also damage your items or run into moving problems that arise from poor planning or a lack of knowledge. If you choose to hire professional movers, you may pay more out of pocket. You may also feel uncomfortable with the idea of working with strangers and having them handle your personal items. At the end of the day, choosing between DIY vs professional movers is a deeply personal decision, and it comes down to what you want and are comfortable with. Before you book any moving company, spend some time considering this and ensuring you’re choosing the option that works best for you. If you’re still not sure which one you want to choose, talk with some friends and family who have used both options. They’ll be able to provide some firsthand feedback and help you make a good decision for you.
Contact Colonial Van Lines to Learn More
If you’re planning to move during the holidays, you’ll need to make a plan to facilitate your moving needs. While there are some differences between DIY vs professional movers, understanding the ins and outs of each is a smart way to make a good decision.
If you have additional questions about your big move or need assistance planning for your holiday move, don’t hesitate to contact Colonial Van Lines today! We’re your one-stop shop for long-distance moving and are happy to answer any questions you might have. We can also provide you with moving checklists, materials, and more. Call us today for a free quote!