Interview processes can be nerve-racking experiences, no matter which side of the desk you’re on. Interviewing national moving companies, no less so. Yet, if you want to find the moving company to hire, the value of an interview is not to be underestimated.
Interview Questions for A Long Distance National Moving Company
At Colonial Van Lines, we’ve been on both sides of the desk when it comes to interviews, and we still find the process difficult, but we have learned a bit about what customers want to know about the moving company they hire. We’ve also heard it formulated into questions, some of which you may find to be a great help in preparing to interview national long-distance moving companies. Here are a few tips on what to ask your prospective national long-distance moving company and the appropriate answers. We hope it will help ease the process.
Q1: What’s Your Registration Number?
A company’s registration number is the number that shows that a company is registered with the US Department of Transportation and with the Federal Motor Carriers Association. If a national long-distance company cannot supply this information, drop it like its hot. It may be a sign that they are not able to comply with basic industry safety standards.
Q2: What’s Your Cost Estimate?
You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true….. The golden rule here is to get it in writing. Make sure the company gives you a written estimate provides you with a copy. The estimate should include both your signature and the signature of the mover, the date of the agreement, and the method of payment.
Also, when you ask a company what its rate is, it should be rate per pound and per distance. Beware if a company offers an estimate based on cubic feet.
Q3: Do You Offer Insurance?
When it comes to moving, insurance is an issue, and preferably it should be dealt with before it becomes a bigger issue. Find out if your company is insured and liable for damage before hiring them. A company should offer full value protection, (liability for the replacement of every damaged or lost item) for an extra fee. You should also be able to insure your items based on value rather than weight.
Q4: How long have you been in business?
We’re all for giving the new kid on the block a break, that is when he’s cashiering at Walmart. When he’s moving your furniture, not so much. While a long track record does not necessarily guarantee a flawless performance, it does mean that the company has experience and has yielded enough satisfactory results to keep it in business for a substantial amount of time.
Q5: Do you have references?
Whether you ask for them, or hunt for them yourself, a reliable national long-distance company should leave a trail of good references behind them. When prompted, a moving company representative should be able to provide a slew of them. Still, checking reviews is a must. Be sure to check out both the reviews on the moving company’s website and reviews from outside sources.
Q6: Does your company provide storage and packing services?
Not just a yes or no question. Not only do you want to find out whether or not the national long-distance moving company provides storage and packing services, but also what those services include. Will the company bring the materials? Will it provide free blanket wrapping of your furniture or will it charge extra for those services? How are the items labelled and how will they be identified upon arrival?
If you’re move involves storage, make sure your moving company provides the service. This will save you the work of finding a separate storage facility.
A National Long-Distance Moving Company with the Answers You Want to Hear
Not only does Colonial have the questions you want to ask, but we also have the answers you want to here. Here’s how Colonial stacks up in the interview process.
- Q1: Yes, Colonial Van Lines is fully licensed and, yes, we do have a DOT number and yes, we have complied with all of the rigorous safety standards that it takes to obtain one. You can find our DOT number at the bottom of our website, or look it up on
- Q2: At Colonial Van Lines, we offer all of our customers free, no obligation, honest and transparent rate quotes. Tell us what your moving needs and budget are, and we’ll provide you with a detailed breakdown of all your expenses so you can see exactly where your money is going.
- Q3: Colonial Van Lines is fully licensed and insured. We’re happy to offer our customers a variety of coverage plans to ensure that your items are well-protected.
- Q4: Colonial Van Lines has been in business for over fifty years. In that time, we’ve managed to maintain a reputation for excellent customer service, fantastic moving experiences and reliable, affordable rate quotes.
- Q5: Do we have references? We wouldn’t be the nation’s top-rated moving company if we didn’t have a long history of five-star ratings and positive feedback! Check out the reviews on our website or ask us for references. We’ll be more than happy to share!
- Q5: Yes, we do offer packing and storage services, with a range of options to suit your needs. Choose from our single item pack, kitchen pack, or full-service pack. We bring the materials to you, including special wrapping for breakables and blanket wrapping for your furniture. We take care of the dismantling of furniture, the labelling of boxes, and the complete inventory list.
Our storage facility is one of the most secure places to store your belongings. We make sure that our facility undergoes regular maintenance for enhanced security and environmental hazards. We cater to the needs of home and business owners by providing short- term, long- term, storage in transit and full storage options.
So, what do you think? Do we get the job? If it sounds like we’re giving the answers you want to hear, we welcome you to find out more about us by contacting us or obtaining a free estimate by requesting our free rate quote. Check us out first and see why we’re the nation’s top moving company.