Mother’s Day is coming upon us shortly, but affordable Mother’s Day gifts aren’t always easy to come by. We all know that no amount of money could ever tell that special woman in your life how much she means to you, but still, we can show appreciation in many other ways. If you find yourself a little strapped for cash this year, but still want to show Mom you care, no worries, we’ve got a bunch of affordable Mother’s Day gifts that won’t break the bank.
Idea 1. DIY Spa Day
Affordable Mother’s Day gifts should always start with what you’ve got on hand, plus your personal time and the quality of your “service.” Chances are she hasn’t had a fresh coat of paint on her hands or feet in ages.
Set up an area with any of these:
- Low lights with scented candles
- Essential oil diffuser
- Fruit or mint infused water or soothing tea
- Soft Zen music
- An electric heating pad in her chair
- Soft pillows and towels
- A basin with warm water
- Manicure/pedicure supplies
Then give your best effort at a new polish. Even if you have no painting skills, a thorough hand, foot, calf and scalp massage will make her feel pampered and refreshed.
You could make a homemade sugar or salt scrub:
- 1 part olive or coconut oil & a handful of citrus peel (blended together for ease)
- Combine with 2-3 parts salt or sugar until it’s a gritty paste
For the Grand Finale you can wrap her face, hands and feet in warm towels. Place damp towels in the drier for 5 minutes or so, (add a drop or two of essential oil) and you are good to go.
Idea 2. Gift Baskets
Gift baskets are reliable Mother’s Day gifts because you can personalize them as much as you want. Be creative and frugal with the wrapping too.
If Mom is a tea-drinker:
- Purchase a sampler box of tea bags
- A jar of honey
- Some lemons
- Include a few cute new mugs to sip on from the dollar store
- A fancy steel steeper
If Mom is a reader:
- Discount bin/thrift shop books in her favorite genre
- DIY handwritten and decorated bookmarks
- A couple sweet love letters from you
- Print free newspaper archives her birthday/wedding day
Idea 3. Upcycled Décor
As you shop around for Mother’s Day gifts, make sure you swing by some local thrift shops and second hand stores. Keep in mind the décor already in your mother’s house and even take some pictures with you.
Ask yourself which items could easily become a match with…
- a new coat of paint or stain
- basic repair or reinforcement
- hardware swap-out
You’d be surprised how easy it is to make additional pieces like a wine bar or end table coordinate in her space if you put in some thought and elbow grease.
Idea 4. DIY Car Detail with the Works
The best affordable Mother’s Day gifts are often a surprise service. Here’s how to detail her car like a pro:
On the inside:
- Remove trash
- Vacuum with shop-vac or take to self-serve station
- Armoral the dash
- Condition the leather
- Treat stains on cloth
On the outside:
- Blast off dirt with hose
- Sponge-wash all exterior areas
- Remove bug splatters from front bumper
- Clean windows and dash
- Degrease and shine those gunky rims
- Apply a protective wax coat
And don’t forget to leave some refreshing new scent to linger when she takes her next drive. The pros charge $100-150 for this service!
Idea 5. A Groupon Adventure
You never know what kind of retail promotions can double as Mother’s Day gifts until you scour the internet discount sites.
Business owners use Groupon to snag new business. As a new customer you’ll get a discount on:
- Events and performances
- Short getaways
- Local activities
- New dining venues
- Beauty services
Tell mom to pack accordingly. Sometimes it’s fun to do something totally random, especially if both of you are outside your comfort zone. If anything, you’ll have the memories of trying something new together. Who knows? It might jog memories for Mom from when she had to invent low-budget ways to entertain you as a kid.
Idea 6. Easy DIY Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
These yummy treats are a mother’s day gift Mom will have hard time sharing. Select a box of berries with the biggest kahunas. You’ll find chocolate dipping fudge that hardens near the ice cream isle or make your own dipping chocolate on the cheap.
Now comes the fancy part. Pretty them up with all these options:
- Dip in crushed up peppermint or caramel candy
- Roll in crushed up Oreos or Thin Mints or almonds
- Roll in sweetened coconut or mini white chocolate chips
- Drizzle a fine line with melted white chocolate
Put them in a pastry window box for that decorative flair that screams, ‘I paid $28.99 for these 12 berries.’ She’ll never know the difference.
Pro-tip: Garnish with a mint sprig if you want to get real fancy!
Idea 7. Homemade Wall Art
Wall art is a great contender among affordable Mother’s Day Gifts because the value of art is up to interpretation. Give your mom a priceless gift all for the cost of a canvas or basic household materials.
Personalize it by including:
- Her favorite colors
- An inspirational quote
- Natural elements that she loves such as sea shells or sea glass
Make sure you take advantage of “½ off one item” discounts that most craft stores offer year ‘round. Pinterest is loaded with DIY ideas from simple paint swirling, to crafty ways to design with quotes or family photos. The sky is the limit with this one, even on a limited budget.
Idea 8. A Furever Friend: Rescuing a Pet
It’s always a sweet idea to consider rescue pets for Mother’s Day gifts. The first thing you should do is ask the people closest to her if this is the right time for a gift that is also a big commitment.
Here are some reasons to adopt an older rescue pet for Mom:
- They’re overlooked by puppies and kittens
- They cost less to adopt and have usually been spayed/neutered
- Adopting an older animal eliminates house-training headaches
- They have by-passed the hyper stage, making them easier to manage
Too many animals are in need of a loving home. A furry friend brings stress-relief, joy, happiness and companionship. These are priceless reasons to consider a rescue pet. If it’s the right time for Mom, you’ll have a new family member. Just try not to get too jealous of the new “baby.”
Remember: You are still her favorite gift.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself as you search for a perfect yet affordable mother’s day gift. Moms just want to know you care, and that goes farther than your money ever will. If the only thing you spend on Mom this Mother’s day is your time or thoughtfulness, we promise, she’ll still feel like the luckiest mom in the world.