If you’re moving, you know that one of the most important things you can do is purge your belongings before you go. In addition to making a smoother and more streamlined move, purging is also one of those moving tips that can help you save money and enjoy a simpler process. Here’s how to do it before you head out on the road.
Moving is an Opportunity for a Complete Purging
Here’s one foundational truth of moving: the better you can purge, the simpler your long distance moving process will be. Here are some moving tips to help you do it the right way:
1. Start with the Easy Things
- Purging is easier when you start with the simple things. With this in mind, head to a little-used room of your house and begin attacking things there. Clean out unwanted clothing, toys, trinkets, and other items that you never use and make way for more important things.
- If you’re not sure you want to get rid of something, place it in a “to re-assess” pile, give things a day, and take another look. If you haven’t used it in a year or can’t imagine a situation in which you’d need it, it’s time to let it go.
2. Donate Old Clothes
- One of the biggest challenges people have with purging during the moving process is that they don’t want to be wasteful or throw things away. The good news is that you don’t need to. If you’re like most people, one of the biggest challenges of your home is that you have too many clothes, many of which you never wear.
- To clear up space for your move, donate these old clothes to a good cause. Not only will you simplify your life, but you’ll also enhance someone else’s by allowing them access to the clothes you never use.
- Before you donate them, make sure your clothes are clean, folded, and in good condition. This makes them easier for charitable organizations to clean, fold, and sort.
3. Make Money from Your Unneeded Items
- You could have lots of cash lying around your house! Get the most out of it by profiting from your unwanted items! Have a garage sale, get rid of things with an app like LetGo or OfferUp or post items on Craigslist to make the most of your purging.
- You can also turn to online auction sites like eBay to get rid of unwanted items and ensure you’re profiting from the “junk in your house. Again, make sure everything you sell is in good condition and that you’re representing it honestly before you post it. This will help cut down on problems down the road and ensure the people who buy your items are happy with them.
- If you have a garage sale, check in with your neighborhood before you stage the sale. Chances are, other people in your area are also trying to get rid of unneeded clutter and may appreciate the opportunity to participate in a sale if you’re organizing one. The more purging you can all do together, the better!
4. Clean up Before You Pack
- While you could do all these things at your new house, it’s going to be much easier if you do them before you move.
- When you clean up before you pack, you reduce the likelihood that you’ll lug unwanted clutter with you to your new house, and that you’ll be overwhelmed by it when you get there. When it comes to clutter, dealing with it early is always better than dealing with it later. Trust us – your movers (and your sanity) will thank you.
Get Some Extra Moving Help for a Simpler Process
Once you’ve purged your household, it’s time to get going on your upcoming move. When this happens, you might want some extra help. In that case, contact Colonial Van Lines for assistance.
The Nation’s Top Professional Long Distance Moving Company your friends and neighbors trust for their moving adventures, Colonial Van Lines can offer you the moving tips and tricks you need to enjoy a streamlined and simplified process.
What’s more, we offer free moving quotes that can help you plan your move easily and simply and a simplified booking service that’s among the best in the industry. So, get to work purging your household, getting rid of unneeded junk, and clearing out space. Once you’ve done that, contact Colonial Van Lines for additional moving assistance you know you can trust.
We’re the moving company your friends choose, and we’re always here to help you with your upcoming moving process. Don’t hesitate to contact us today and get a quote for your moving services. We’re here to answer any question you might have, regardless of whether it’s about storage and packing or long-distance transport.